Friday 30 January 2015

SHOULDN'T WE BE DOING THIS IN EVERY TOWN?


(leeds.uk.eventsdroid.com)

Looking for Good News this week I was excited by the 'Songs of Praise' intro of the Junk Food Café, Leeds - also known as Pay As You Feel Café Project.

(Griphon report link)


“The Real Junk Food Project is a ‘Pay-As-You-Feel’ (PAYF) eatery in Armely, Leeds, only serving food that would otherwise be destined for landfill. From December 2013 to June 2014, the café intercepted 10,520.716 kilograms of edible food that would have been thrown away and left to rot in land fill. They are a registered food bank, and have served 4073 meals to 2888 people. The café intercepts surplus or waste food from restaurants and supermarkets in Leeds, using it to prepare healthy meals. The community café has an open door policy, and the menu changes depending on what has been salvaged that day. The food, however, is always delicious. Diners pay what they can or as much as they feel the food is worth, and they can also volunteer their services to earn meals. It is run and staffed entirely by volunteers, opening at 9am and staying open until every last scrap of food is gone.” 
(See more info on the links below)

http://www.thegryphon.co.uk/2014/12/the-real-junk-food-project-why-waste-food/

http://www.therealjunkfoodproject.co.uk/





How do you feel about eating food saved from landfill? 
Would it bother you?


WHAT ABOUT THIS?


Gregg Wallace & Chris Bavin

Did you watch the EAT WELL FOR LESS? programme Thursday evening (29/1) BBC1 8 pm?

I thought - as long as it's healthy food I'm interested! But... there wasn't very much help in how to eat healthier or to check the quality of the ingredients in a product. It would have to be a 'health first' check for me - less sugar, less fat, wholefoods etc and loads more fruit and veg.

It wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be - I wrongly presumed it was for people on low incomes struggling to provide nutritious and economic meals for the family. But if the outcome means we learn to waste less food,  that has to be a great achievement.

On a Breakfast TV interview Gregg said it was all about planning. He will show us how to find the time!!! I certainly need to plan more, so I'll be watching for the next two Thursdays.

What do you think? 
Does food waste matter? Can cheap be healthy?


SPRING IS NEARLY HERE!  The buds are coming out - crocus, daffodils and snowdrops are showing their colours!


www.monksilvernursery.co.uk


Every morning around 7 am I go to my shed to have a Coffee+God time. 

theworshippingheartblogspot.com

What might He want to say to me today? I opened my Message Bible at Ecclesiastes 11.2 and read:  

“Don’t hoard your goods; spread them around. Be a blessing to others.”
 (Yep! That’s OK I can do that!)

“This could be your last night.” Not what I wanted to hear! Although having just been to a well loved friend’s funeral this week, we never know when it is our time to go! The important thing is to know where we’re going. I follow Jesus - He said “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one  comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14.6) 

This is true – He is what He says He is!

MISUNDERSTANDINGS - WE ALL HAVE THEM!  Will you share yours!


its-mad.blogspot.com

May God give you peace, dear friends and love with faith,

Tracey

3 comments:

  1. Love the baby!!! How sweet is that.
    Also, completely agree with your comments on the eat cheaper/better. However I still think we need to learn that food isn't cheap!
    That cafe is a great place - wonder if they do vegan . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. always good common sense and thanks for the good pointers to programmes worth watching.
    food waste is dreadful, so anything that combats that problem is a marvellous thing.
    keep sharing your wise thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the Junk Food Café in Leeds is a wonderful idea. I would love to see these kind of cafes open up all around Britain. I have also seen a report about a gleaning network in the UK which would help support this kind of café and food banks. If I understand it correctly, farmers allow volunteers to harvest crops they do not need. I hope that both ventures will be very successful in the future.
    I enjoy reading your thoughts Tracey.

    ReplyDelete